Saturday 15 May 2010

Egg Biryani




My husband and me love biryani like anything. Usually, on a lazy weekend , biryani and cucumber raita is the menu on the table. I usually prepare vegetable biryani but this time I have tried my hands on egg biryani and trust me,this biryani was the best one I have prepared till date. I must admit that I have done a lot of R&D before I tired out this recipe.Actually,I never found a recipe for egg biryani which will satisfy me instantly…I mean which will get me up and make me do it.But this one did and so …..here’ the outcome! But I have made some changes in the basic recipe and I must admit it.

I have taken the basic recipe of http://myspicykitchen.wordpress.com/2008/11/30/egg-dum-biryani/ and my friend Suvarna Joshi’ recipe.Thank you so much darlings!

Ingredients:

Rice

 3 cups uncooked rice
 1 inch stick of cinnamon
 2 black cardamom (badi elachi)
 3-4 cloves

Vegetables

 ½ cup peas(frozen/fresh)
 ½ cup cut beans
 ½ cup roughly cubed carrot
 2 large onions (chopped/sliced)
 3-4 tbspn chopped coriander
 2-3 tspn of ginger –garlic paste

Others
 Eggs – 5 (boiled and cut into four slices, length –wise)
 Biryani masala (ready made-I have used (3/4 tspn) Shaan Sindhi Biryani
masala and added 1/4 tspn of Everest biryani masala too)
 A pinch of food colour (usually yellow or orange is used. Since,I had orange
at home,have used it.)
 1-1/2 tbpn oil
 Fried onions(These are available in the market or you can deep fry some
sliced onions till they are caramalised and keep them aside)
 Dry fruits like raisins and cashewnut.


Steps:

Rice :
In a vessel, add 6 cups of water (2 cups for every one cup rice) and add rice and other ingredients stated along with rice. Once done , spread it on a plate for cooling down.

Take a pinch of food colour and mix with 1 tspn of water. Add this to ¼ of the cooked rice.


Vegetables and Egg:

 Heat oil in a kadai/wok.
 Add the onions and ginger-garlic paste.
 When onions are nearly done, add the veggies. Add some water ,say 3/4 cup .
 Add biryani masala and mix well. Let the veggies get crunchy cooked.
 Now add 1 tbspn of yoghurt and mix well.
 Add the sliced boiled egg.
 Cook for 1-2 mins till the eggs are well coated with the masala.
(The whole mixture needn’t be dry. In case very little water is there,then that’s fine.)

Final Step:

 In a oven proof vessel ,spread a layer of veggies and egg mix.
 Above this, spread the white rice layer.
 Sprinkle some fried onion and dry fruits.
 Put a layer of veggies and egg .
 Spread some coloured rice and then some white rice.
 Again fried onion and dry fruits.

Keep on repeating till veggie mix is over. Let the white rice layer be the top one.

Sprinkle onion and dry fruits.

Cover the vessel with the lid or cover it firmly with a aluminium foil.

Bake at 180c (or in a moderate oven) for 12-15 mins.

Serve hot. Sprinkle some freshly chopped coriander just before serving.

Enjoy with some cool cucumber raita or yoghurt.

No comments: