Wednesday, 1 June 2011
This one dish I always prepare using microwave. I have added the healthy kumara to it instead of potato. Kumara is a red flesh sweet potato which can be had on fasting day too.
1 cup sabudana/sago (medium size)
¼ cup roasted peanut powder
½ cup Kumara chopped
1tsp jeera/cumin seeds
1 tbsp oil
red chilli powder as per taste
salt as per taste
1 tsp sugar
• Soak the sabudana overnight in water .The water level shouldn’t exceed the sabudana.
• Mix the sabudana, peanut powder, salt and sugar.
• Heat oil in a microwave –safe utensil. Add jeera and chopped kumara .Microwave high for 1 minute putting the lid on.
• Remove and mix. Sprinkle some(1 -2tsp) water and add the red chilli powder and mix gently. Cover and microwave again for a minute.
• Add the sabudana and mix .
• Cover and microwave high for 3 mins removing after every one min and giving a gentle stir.
• Remove and mix gently
• Leave it to cool for 5 mins so that the heat in the sabudana gets properly distributed and the sabudana gets properly and evenly cooked up.
• Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
This is Kumara ......
This is a healthier version of upma. The combination of oats and upma is so good that people who usually hate oats don’t even realise the presence of oats in this upma.
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup roasted semolina
1 big onion chopped
¼ cup corn kernels
¼ boiled peas
½( medium size) carrot chopped
few curry leaves
2 dry red chillies
2-3 cups of water
salt to taste
a pinch of sugar
3 tbsp of oil
1 tsp lemon juice
chopped coriander for garnishing
• Heat oil in a heavy bottom kadhai. Add the curry leaves, chopped onion and red chillies.
• Add the corn, peas and carrot.
• Fry till onion becomes transparent.
• Add 2 ¾ cups of water, salt to taste and pinch of sugar. Boil.
• Add the oats and semolina to this boiling mix.
• Keep on stirring so that lumps are not formed .
• Cover and cook for 2-3 mins .
• Add the lemon juice and mix well.
• Garnish with coriander and serve hot.